Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Teacup painting

Last night I had an idea for a painting and started painting it in my head as I fell asleep. This is what it looks like after four hours of painting today. 


The hardest part of painting teacups is getting proportions right, it's so hard to get things accurate. You think it all looks ok, and then turn the canvass upside down and everything goes out of kilter! Something I don't like about this painting is that when looked at from a distance or in a thumbnail image it looks flat. I think it is because I haven't got enough contrast and my values are all on the same range.

I think I might do another painting like this tomorrow and see if I can get more depth and contrast into it.

3 comments:

  1. Aw, lovely! this painting is so dainty and whimsical, that it makes me desire a cup of tea myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its beautiful! i love tea cups!! And those moments when you are drifting off to sleep, I often get inspirations for music poetry and sewing bu tthen I often lose them before the morning and wished that I stayed awake long enough to get some of it out on paper,

    PS I think this is an epic wee picture and you have done it very well!

    ReplyDelete