Sunday, October 12, 2014

Satin Dress Drawing

   I have been very busy all last week working on a commission. It's illustration work which is all very new and interesting, but more on that later. I did find time to do some drawing for myself and here is something I worked on bit by bit all week. 


'Satin Dress' pastel pencil on paper. aprox A3.

   Another from the series of photos I took of Tabitha. I concentrated on the dress in this drawing and made that my subject. I love the folds and how there is so much reflected light in the shadows. I would like to do a bigger drawing of a similar dress and spend more time on it. My favorite part is her lower foot on the ground and the train of the dress. 

   Today I started a still life painting of my violin again. I seem to enjoy that challenge! It's going really well and I hope to finish it this week. I had a few of those good moments when I applied something new I've learnt through reading and watching other artists paint and it worked! It's encouraging to know that what I want to achieve in painting is possible to learn. Also that all my hours I spend reading about painting and looking at paintings and watching videos of people paint are not entirely wasted time!

   This week again I shall be extra busy finishing my still life, doing lots of drawing, and starting on a new commission for a painting. I'm going to be painting a horse! I've been wanting to do that again lately. Also I hope to go out and get some plein air painting done.

5 comments:

  1. The Satin Dress...soft and shimmering; languid and fluid; absolutely gorgeous; excellent composition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Un dessin plein de grâce et d'élégance... Tout simplement merveilleux !
    Bravo Felicity pour ton immense talent :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so fabulous, Liss! I will be replying to your letter soon, and hopefully send you another photo of another subject. By the by, Tabitha is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete