Sunday, February 19, 2012

My First Real Still Life

I had never painted a real still life before, but during the last free days of the holidays (Yes, I'm still completing my year 13cert...) I attempted something new and different from my usual typical horses or cats. I was becoming a little afraid I would turn into a mediocre portrait artist, never growing better just churning out the same old stuff. And so in a fit of inspiration I painted this over a couple days. And presented it to Mum on her birthday.


 Now that it's finished and since I haven't looked hard at it for a couple weeks I can see all the flaws in it. That always happens, such a damper! But still I feel this painting is a turning point for me and assures me I can still keep improving if I put my mind and effort to it. 

It has displaced a faded old copy of Millet in the best spot over the mantle piece in our lounge.


There are actually three other pieces of mine visible in this photo.

6 comments:

  1. Your work is incredible! That painting is so beautiful... music, books, and horses. What else does one need? ;) But seriously... amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Scot, girlie! This is absolutely fabulous--so realistic! Did you do it in oils? Oh mercy, Lissy-mine, I wish I could paint like that. Tell me, how do you manage it? Don't tell me practice--I'll scream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it. :D Rachel, I think....you had better scream.

      Seriously...

      I don't have better advice. Oh, well I guess you can read lots here and there and pic up tips and tricks that's what I did along with a fair share of screaming and that sort of thing!

      Here's one: Contrast, darkest darks darker, lightest lights lighter. (Though it depends on your style!)

      Delete